2.28.2013

The Next Big Thing Project


How fun is this? My first blog tag game thingie! And I have the lovely Melissa Marino to thank for this wonderful procrastination technique that feels a little like I'm still honing my craft...

If you haven't hopped over to her blog to read her answers, do so! CRUMBLE looks amazing (how great is that one-line synopsis?), and I can't wait to read it in its entirety!

Okay, so, onward... Basically, an author answers these lovely questions about a current project (or a past project...I wasn't quite sure on the deets, so I went with my soonest-to-be-published piece), then tags an author (or three!) to do the same.

Good? Good. Here we go...
   
What is the working title of your book? 
Plus One. It's always been Plus One in my mind, from the first line that came to me. And I'll let you in on a little secret...when the publisher acquired the MS and told me there was a possibility the title could be altered, I had a slight (albeit silent and private) freak out because I could never see it as anything but this. Thankfully, though, it's here for keeps.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
 
One tiny little piece of dialogue came to me in the middle of the night (my favorite line in the whole book) and from there, it spawned the entire thing.

What genre does your book fall under?
 
Contemporary Romance

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
 
Hmmm...that's tricky. I never really see actors when I create the characters in my head (or when I read books, for that matter). They're just sort of...there. 100% original specimens in my mind. But, for the sake of this, let's see what I can come up with...

Olivia I could maybe see as a brunette Rachel McAdams. She's very girl next door in my mind.

Ian was tougher. How did I never realize what a shortage of hot blond actors there is? After much exhausting research, I think I'm going to go with a young Brad Pitt a la Se7en or Fight Club.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

When bad date guru Olivia takes a break from the abysmal dating scene, she doesn't expect to find love now that she's stopped looking for it, and certainly not in the one place she least expected it.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Neither...I sought publication on my own, and it's going to be published by Carina Press in May.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Is it sad that I can't remember? That's probably a little sad. Here, let me check my Word files for the dates... 
...
...

Well, that was fun. The computer will tell you anything! It appears the first draft took me a little over a month. 
 
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

This question sort of makes me squirm in my seat. (And by sort of, I mean I literally squirmed in my seat.) To list the authors that I'd hope my work would be similar to feels...weird. And awkward. And weird. And I don't like to feel either of those things. So. Um. Pass.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
The quote I mentioned above was the entire inspiration for the book. From there, the line about cat urine (aha! I have your attention now, don't I?) really hit it home and everything sort of fell into place after that. (You think I'm joking, don't you? Nope, true story.)

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? 

When I started this project, I set out to write the kind of book I wanted to read. A real romance with a real hero and heroine--both believably flawed but still lovable. A heroine who I'd want to be friends with and a hero who...oh, hell. Do we really need to strive to like a hero? Well, in case you do, I set out to make Ian the perfect blend of strong and sensitive, funny and sweet. Oh, and there had to be laughs. And sex. And not any of that vague B.S., either. Just say no to Fade-to-Blacks is always my motto...

 -----------

Whee! That was a lot of fun! Thanks again, Mel, for tagging me on this post. Now for my tags, huh?

Let's see here... I'd love to hear more about one of the twenty-seven billion projects my dear friend and critique partner, Jeanette Grey (@jeanettelgrey) is working on. She's on vacation now (somewhere sunny and warm. Harrumph), but hopefully she'll have a minute or ten when she gets back to play. 

And I know the lovely Kat Watson (@msfictional) has something up her sleeve that she's been working on and is super excited about!

And lastly, Spangly (twitter & blog still getting prettified). She completed her first original novel for Nano in November and I'm so excited to read!


 

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment